Photo credit: mycan
Is a space heater a fire hazard?
If your windows and doors are old and leaky you may look to space heaters for more comfort in you home during winter. Space heaters are a nice way to heat up specific parts of your home. But are they dangerous?
If you intend to use portable electric space heaters, make sure to observe these tips and recommendations:
• Purchase a heater with the seal of a qualified testing laboratory.
• Keep the heater at least 3 feet away from anything that can burn.
• Choose a heater with a thermostat and overheat protection.
• Place the heater on a stable, level surface.
• Make sure your heater has an auto shut-off to turn the heater off if it tips over.
• Keep space heaters out of the way of foot traffic. Never obstruct an exit.
• Keep kids away from the space heater.
• Plug the heater directly into the wall socket. Never use an extension cord.
• Space heaters should be switched off and unplugged when you vacate the room or go to bed.
Stay safe this winter with our portable heater safety tips. From space heater technology to standard usage tips, Sylvane’s got you covered with advice and tips on using space heaters safely this winter season.
More information at: www.sylvane.com