Home Maintenance Checklist
We thought we’d share some home maintenance tasks you can do monthly throughout the year. The key is working at it every month to make it easier for you.
What’s not to love about summer? If you need a push to get into the summer spirit, be sure to read our random trivia facts that will have you ready to face the heat with the enthusiasm of an 8-year-old at a water park.
This month’s recipe for Buffalo Grilled Corn is the biggest thing to hit corn since man found out he could put it in a fire. Tangy, saucy, fire-roasted corn is topped with funky blue cheese for a whole mouth full of flavor. It’s the perfect side to any protein you put on the grill.
We hope you and your loved ones are enjoying the early days of summer!
Perform a security check
Home robberies often increase during the summertime months, mainly because burglars expect homeowners to leave for long holidays. Be sure and check your locks, doors, and windows, then invest in a reliable security system that watches your home.
Repair the roof
The end of August is an excellent time to fix or replace roof shingles. The late-summer, early-fall timeframe also ensures that new shingles have time to seal and form an impenetrable barrier.
- Cut the cord. As fall arrivals and TV networks air the brand-new seasons of each hit show, cut the cable cord, save up to $150 a month, and shift to a streaming platform where you can watch all your desired entertainment while saving money in the process.
Ready the fireplace and service your heating system
Book a service to clean and repair the fireplace and flue. Doing so not only assures adequate heating but also reduces smoke and fire hazards. Also, ask a technician to service the heating system, ensure the equipment is appropriately working order, replace filters, increase energy efficiency, and mitigate fire hazards. Verify that indoor and outdoor air vents are not obstructed.
Check critical batteries
If you intend to use the fireplace a great deal, replace the batteries for your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors before burning the first log.
- Assess the paint. Walk around the outside of your house and look for peeling or blistering paint. If you see any, it's time for a paint job.
Monitor your energy usage
You can accomplish this project any time of the year, but November works well since the heater and lights cause energy use to spike.
Vacuum the refrigerator coils
Your refrigerator consumes a sizable amount of power, so trim its diet by cleaning the coils.
- The most extended barbecue on record lasted 80 hours and set a record. It included 1,000 hot dogs, 558 burgers, 526 sausages, 104 pieces of chicken, and 200 pieces.
- The Eiffel Tower gets six inches taller in the summer. The 1,062-foot monument is more than six inches taller in the heat, thanks to thermal expansion.
- There was once a year without summer. In 1816, a massive volcanic eruption partially clouded the Earth’s atmosphere, causing snow in June and frost in August.
- There are about 300 varieties of watermelon. There are about 50 trendy varieties, including Seeded, Seedless, Mini, Yellow, and Orange.
- The beach ball was invented in 1938.
- Hot Dogs are best selling BBQ meat throughout the summer.